From: Slichter, Daniel H. (Fed) [mailto:daniel.slich...@nist.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 3:56 AM
To: Sébastien Bourdeauducq <s...@m-labs.hk>; Grzegorz Kasprowicz
<kaspr...@gmail.com>
Cc: 'Grzegorz Kasprowicz' <gkasp...@elka.pw.edu.pl>; artiq@lists.m-labs.hk
Subject: RE: [ARTIQ] FW: initial specification of the project

> On Saturday, 9 April 2016 6:10:36 PM HKT Grzegorz Kasprowicz wrote:
> > Why do you think that CPUs have negative value? You don't have to
> > use them at all.
>
> I already explained that the MPSoC has to be dealt with and cannot be
> completely ignored. If we have two SDRAM systems, maybe we can to a
> reasonable extent, but then it does complicate the board.

On the DSP/"Sayma" boards, a hard SoC could have use for reducing the time
it takes to perform feedback calculations (e.g. shifts of output signal
frequency based on ADC readings).

My comment in the previous email about "users" wanting this also pertains to
the idea that people not using ARTIQ might want to buy these boards and use
them for their own purposes.  For many of them, having a hard SoC on board
may make it faster/easier for them to get the boards doing what they want.
Again, it's not totally necessary to have this but would enable more
applications and a broader group of potentially interested customers.