Probably the most difficult thing to overcome with a new dog in the house, 
besides 
housebreak, is separation anxiety.
When I first got my Lakota, she hated when I left for work, and would take it 
out on 
anything associated with me. I usually brush my teeth just before leaving for 
work, so 
Lakota would chew up my tooth brush. She probably figured that if she killed 
the tooth 
brush then I wouldn't leave.
This progressed to clothes, remotes, a camera and eventually a couch.
So, I started doing research into separation anxiety, and I learned that the 
key is to let 
them know that you'll always be coming back.
I began to do "trial separations" which meant I would go out, sit on the porch 
for a few, 
and then come right back. I'd increase the length of time I was away each time.
Another key is to not make a big deal of either coming, or going. Just act like 
it's no big 
deal.


--- In [email protected], "justifiedright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> --- In [email protected], "oakdorf" <oakdorf@> wrote:
> >
> > 1. How do you leave a dog at home?
> 
> You can cage train him until he is fully housebroken, and then it 
> should be OK to give him the run of the house.
> 
> Wouldn't leave him caged all day though.  Maybe a neighbor can help 
> with visits/walks etc.
> 
> Whatever you do, do NOT let him in a cage with a coller on or a shirt 
> on.  Lost one that way.
>





 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AsburyPark/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AsburyPark/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to