Re: This isn't for attention

Oh, boy. This topic is getting sticky.

Dark, I understand your position. You need to protect the best interest of as many members of this publicly viewable forum as possible, as well as anyone else who might stumble upon this topic by accident, since anyone can read it. And, to that end, I can see how, as the owner of this little corner of the web, you'd feel responsible for what's said and done here. And anything that seems to be promoting suicide is quite a muddled point of contension indeed.

More to the point, suicide isn't something that should be undertaken lightly, or because of situations that may clear up on their own in due course.

But you'll never hear me say that it's wrong to take your own life if that's what you choose to do. In the first place, nobody wants to hear that when they're in such a dark place in their life. If you're considering suicide, you don't want to hear how bad and wrong and morally repr ehensible it is. Not only can those points be debated pretty easily, it's degrading to the person's current emotional state. I'm not saying that we should ever tell someone to go ahead and kill themselves. But I do believe that restricting their choice, whether those restraints are physical, as in being hospitalized and forcefully medicated, or emotionally, through guilt trips, religious diatribes, or simply trying to force a positive outlook down the person's throat, usually just breed resentment and distrust, and make the person much less likely to seek help again, and, in effect, making the suicide risk higher.

Towards the beginning of this topic, KJones posted a link to a blog entry in which the author states that it helped him or her cope just knowing that self-harm was an option. During my own struggles with self-harm and suicidal thoughts, if someone had actually told me it was OK to have them, not how horrible of a person I was, I might have been le ss intent on destroying myself. It really makes a world of difference, knowing that you're not judged on what you do, but for who you are.

Again, I want to reiterate that saying that a destructive behavior or thought process is OK is not the same as condoning it as a long-term, set in stone solution. it simply is what it is. I wish that more people would hold this view, and stop trying to bully and control those who are already in a fragile emotional state to bend to their will, just because society, the Bible, or common sense says it's icky. Forget all that crap for a minute and focus on the crises that have brought the person to whatever point of no return they're at.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindncool via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : gellman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : gellman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : gellman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Haramir via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ghost rider via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ghost rider via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : ghost rider via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : garrett via Audiogames-reflector