Re: College Degrees and Employment

@Afrim, it's a bit difficult for me to say precisely what is happening since to be brutally honest, yeah, it's university and it's not easy, at Durham at least you were expected! to be at a certain academic standard for being there and while the lecturers would always provide assistance, from answering questions to providing reading lists (which I can tell you as someone who has had to do their own research are a god send), your still expected to put in the work yourself, and quite a lot of work at that.

I do know when I was having a serious problem in both metaphysics and in philosophical logic the tutors for both subjects were willing  to help, particularly the logic tutor who's tree diagram method obviously didn't work too well with a vi student, he even offered to personally teach me a completely different approach to propositional calculus, though I didn't take him up on this and found a way of creating  trees using a numerical system instead.

Of course, doing a masters (which was probably work wise the hardest thing I have done) given the extremely! limited time (it was basically like writing four undergrad dissertations in a year), then doing a phd does change my perspective on this, these days the idea of writine a 2k essay with all the books provided sounds like something I could get done over lunch, hell most of the book reviews I have done on www.fantasybookreview.co.uk are pretty much that length big_smile.