Re: Nuance vocaliser just died!

No idea why it failed, it was very odd indeed.

I'm not a fan of drm as regards most creative content such as music, films etc since in those cases it seems that the redistributor, who did nothing to make the actual item is just attempting to squeeze the maximum amount of cash possible from other people's work through use of an artificially restrictive redistribution system that costs little to nothing to maintain and is all about squeezing the customer (one reason I don't use audible, Itunes or similar).

In case of software though, considering in most cases the redistributor is also the program's creator, or at least maintainer, I'll put up with a little more security provided it does not interfere with my actual use of the software in question and provided the developers do their job in terms of support, since while you can't stop all pirates, you can at least  prevent casual copying, and after all I'm willing to support program developers and maintainers especially with something that contributes to Nvda (my wife and I also give monthly donations to Nvda as well).

In fairness to Nuance in this case they got back to me quickly and helped me  fix the problem, which is just what I want when I've  bought a piece of software.