Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Canlorn, nice post. I wanted someone else to comment on how Accman is having to backpedal all the time so that it didn't look like a personal issue. It isn't. Seriously. I've been just as ferocious with plenty of other people.

You're tired of being guilt-tripped, Accman? Tough luck. I'm not even close to being tired of using logic and social disapproval to demolish your anti-mask stances. If you're tired of being guilt-tripped, maybe it's because deep down in your heart, you know that your actions might actually lead to someone dying, and you don't want to say that you're okay with that. Maybe you have a scrap of conscience that is actually railing against the lunacy you're spreading because you really do care about other people. If that's the case, for christ's sake let it loose; I'd love to see it. If it means you have to backpedal again, I'd actually be able to greet it with some sympathy. But I think at this point you're simply too committed to your own narrative to even consider anyone else. Remember, I'm no longer interested in convincing you that you're wrong; I know you're wrong, and your unwillingness to face facts isn't my problem because I'm not in close physical proximity to you, so you don't represent a physical threat to my safety or to the safety of those I care about. Keep those antacids handy though; you might need them.

You have three choices, as I see it:
1. Go quiet, save whatever shreds of your dignity remain, and slink into anonymity until everyone forgets the colossal idiocy of much of what you've been saying on this subject
2. Flat-out admit that you've been wrong, and that your personal bias is preventing you from assessing the situation with a clear perspective
3. Maintain what you're saying, and continue to build the case against yourself every time you post

Enes, I generally agree with your assessment. We've made it mandatory to wear a mask in all public indoor spaces and in public transit (buses, trains, cabs), and I have no trouble helping to do my part to keep others safe. I'd rather be a little uncomfortable for a short while than have to worry that I might get my partner's eight-year-old son sick by not taking precautions. I couldn't live with myself if I ended up killing him, even if it was the virus that did the work.

What really blows my mind is that Americans aren't freaking out about, say, having to wear shoes in a restaurant, even though a lack of shoes doesn't actually represent a health risk to anyone. You're okay with that, but you're somehow not okay with wearing a face covering for awhile during public exposure? Like I say, it's been politicized out of all sensibility. But I'll boil down a few important facts.

1. America has one of the highest per-capita rates of Covid-19 infection in the world
2. America is the only country where the refusal to wear masks has been so highly politicized; people are refusing in lots of other countries, but only in the United States is it so polarized
3. The wearing of masks does not eliminate Covid-19 transmission, but in virtually all areas where mandatory mask-wearing is enforced, the numbers don't lie; it's effective in slowing the spread
4. If you refuse to wear a mask, you are at a greater chance of catching and spreading Covid-19
5. many Americans, perhaps galvanized by the GOP, are refusing to wear masks
6. math doesn't lie

Just remember this, folks, if you think this man is a trustworthy source of information. He's tacitly okay with people dying because wearing masks is uncomfortable. He shouldn't have to wear one because...well, because. Science is only relevant when it's convenient, and experts aren't experts because they have to drink water, and that means lowering their masks. Is this really a man anyone should be taking seriously? Me, I say no.