Re: Modern PCS breakout rewrite

@Simber, breakout style games are really popular, but as far as I know there aren't that many around that are accessible, which is odd sinse it's a style of game that could be done easily in audio. Rebound from Gamevial is about the best example, sinse as I said Ken Downny's wrecking ball always seemed a bit chaotic to me, but basically the bat and ball mechanics aren't really that more complex than Pong, you just need sounds for when your ball hits the different bricks, and possibly some sort of scan to tell you roughly where the remaining bricks are.

There is also Yukio's Laser breakout, but that  is more a strange turn based battle version, and other than breaking bricks doesn't really have much to do with the original game at all, though it is fun if you like turn based battles.

@Phil, I can imagine a similar space invaders game to breakout with those mechanics. I'm not saying the game isn't bad, as I said I enjoyed play ing it, especially the fast reactions and I can definitely see the point of one switch gameplay, I just personally am not convinced it accurately reflects the original breakout concept sinse a key part of that is the bat and ball mechanics. Imagine if someone created a Packman audiogame, where instead of running around the mazes the player had to continually hit the space bar to move along in one direction, hit up arrow to grab dots when they heard the sound and then stop when they heard a ghost sound. The game may or may not be a good game, may have eating dots and getting killed by ghosts, but missing the need to navigate the maze sort of misses a major element of what made Packman Packman.

"Pcs Breakout" would be an option, but I'd still personally prefer it had a name that only slightly related to breakout as I said.

I do admit though, I am possibly more of a stickler for this sinse I do have quite fond memories of the original breakout game from the 80's, so to me breakout without the bouncing ball sort of misses the point, likely people who are less serious about accuracy wouldn't have this niggle.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Giovani via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : crashmaster via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : turtlepower17 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Phil via Audiogames-reflector