I had a similar experience - a surprising amount of hiss being heard
emanating from the SB3 analog outputs compared to my CD player's analog
outputs. I would guess the difference was about 15 dB. This was evident
when turning my preamp volume control up to about 12 o'clock - a
position that is never used in normal usage. The noise was definitely
not white either, and had an odd tonal quality to it. I replaced the
provided 5VDC psu with a linear supply, and the noise floor improved
slightly, and became white. I had intended for a while to get an
external DAC, so I went ahead and did that: the first one I tried was
the LiTe DAC 68 which I returned on a 30-day trail - I hated it. The
next DAC I got was the VDA-2 DAC from Channel Islands Audio. Needless
to say - I love it. I connect the SB3 to the VDA-2 with a Sonicwave
glass toslink. The noise floor is now what it should be - gone. A coax
connection gave the same results. My summation is that the DAC inside
the SB3 is not the world's best.

--
Ron F.