Over a 10 year period I transferred about 2,000 LPs to CD/44.1K digital
format (which I finished 2 or 3 years ago -- now just doing the odd
album here and there). Back-to-back and level-matched, I never could
tell the difference between direct playback of the LP and the unedited
digital copy. To me, that says that the commonly ascribed differences
between the LP and commercial CD releases has far more to do with
processing/mastering decisions than anything inherent to the storage
format.

Of course, LPs, with their 40 dB equalization swing from 20 Hz to 20 KHz
and the various constraints imposed by the physical aspects of putting
sound in plastic grooves, imposed certain limitations as to how music
for LPs was recorded and processed. The CD was free of many of these
constraints, which ironically, led to fads -- never "required" by the
format -- such as the loudness wars.

However, fad and fashion rules, often taking precedence over capturing
the musicality, dynamic range and subtleties of live acoustic music.
Give people unrestricted tools as digital has done, and they will play
with them.