On 2/03/2016 3:50 PM, Richard Frawley wrote:
come to the comps and find out... NSW states are about to happen there.

on the day, it was an appropriate margin as determined by the race stewards.
the pilots all agreed by show of hand. seems a responsible approach (opps no
pun) to creating the right safety measures.

bit like gliding in general. make good decisions based on current and expected conditions. one of
the first lessons about "continuous integration of information and flexibility in decision
making" was on an early check ride. the instructor loaded me up with a set of unexpected
things which ended me up low on base. rather that reset my landing to the alt runway nearly
straight ahead (that I had forgotten about) I did an unnecessary tight turn onto the planned one. I
have never forgotten that lesson of "what are my options"
As an L2 instructor, I teach that glider pilots have to be flexible and not fixate on landing on the RWY they took off on. I also quote that we had a spin in and death at our airfield of a pilot who was flying with RAA. His beautiful self constructed glider had a motor in it and he flew low past one runway to join the duty runway and spun in on joining downwind. :-( :-(
PeterS