Before it is worth spending another cent on marketing gliding, it is *essential
*to get the product right. After 30 years of flogging the current model all
that has been achieved is a 50% reduction in membership. In the same period
the population of Australia increased by 50% so the market penetration of
the product has fallen by two thirds. Any commercial product manager who
did not address the product deficiencies in this situation who most
certainly end up unemployed.

The fundamental problem is that the core membership have a propensity to
say “I bought the product and it works for me so it is a good product.”
This illusory logic is what has caused some notable marketing failures from
the Ford Edsel to Kodak to Blackberry and Nokia.

The problem is illustrated in this forum where many experienced and
passionate glider pilots, many of them not currently involved in the
activity (is it really a sport?), have identified that the product is wrong
for the current marketplace.

Over the decades GFA and others have sought to “market” the product ie join
a club, be a volunteer, get fried in the sun and always be under the
control of a CFI even if he/she is not even near the airfield.

Gliding is not really a cheap alternative to RA_Aus. You and a couple of
mates can buy a Jab for $25K and have a heap of fun. Registration and
membership cost are lower and maintenance costs are similar until the donk
spits a dummy in which case there of plenty of secondhand motors around. In
the meantime many flyng hours on your terms.

Gliding needs to get closer to the GA / RA-Aus model. The days of primary
gliders on the Wussekrappe are well gone. Independent operation of gliders
needs to be encouraged not seen as a distant goal for a newbie. Self
launchers should be mandatory for training (GFA could use its millions to
help out here), commercial training operations encouraged to unload clubs
of the responsibility and GFA should get out of the rule writing business.

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Stuart Wolf <stuac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> In an attempt to get a worthwhile discussion get back on track. Not my
>>> ideas but a brief summary of this conversation so far.
>>>
>>> Perceived problems:
>>>
>>> GFA administration
>>> Overly focused on competition carried out by a tiny minority of pilots
>>> Resistant to change
>>> Minimum required to deal with CASA
>>>
>>> Clubs
>>> Membership declining
>>>
>>> Training
>>> Volunteer based - not providing scheduled and efficient training
>>> expected by younger people
>>> Instructors need to be paid
>>>
>>> Pilots
>>> Very few given L2 independent ops so vast majority permanently operating
>>> under supervision of instructors
>>> Gliding responsibility needs to be in the hands of the pilot, not club
>>> or CFI
>>> Aging pilots
>>>
>>> Aircraft
>>> Many aging gliders
>>> many out of service yet still on register
>>>
>>> Solutions??
>>>

>>> Greg Wilson
>>>

>>> ---- On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 21:40:18 +1100 *Robert
>>> Izatt<thebunyipboo...@gmail.com>* wrote ----
>>>
>>> Not entirely true. Many have indicated a direction.
>>> Your problem is, for 1 through 4 you have to have willingness and
>>> co-operation from the clubs and the management skills at the club level.
>>> Most members of a club want to enjoy the activity without having to run a
>>> business. You need special or stupid people who are happy to devote
>>> countless hours to this when really the club (or some members) doesn’t want
>>> to deal with all the hassles of larger numbers, less access to equipment
>>> (glider/tug), bigger queues at the flight line etc etc etc. I have been
>>> there.
>>> And that’s their right and good luck to them.
>>>

>>> On 2 Feb. 2017, at 11:11 am, Peter Carey <ca...@ericorp.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>> This has been a very deep and meaningful discussion and, to me, it was
>>> enlightening and educational. Most of the contributions were well thought
>>> out and clearly expressed.
>>> My only problem is that the conversation was confined to defining the
>>> problem and, what we should be concentrating is a solution.
>>> We have done the talk, now, let's try to do the walk.
>>> I am new to the game (been gliding for 40 years) and a bloody foreigner
>>> (living here for 60 years) so, you have to forgive me if I am on the wrong
>>> path.
>>> We won't be able to solve the membership decline issue with volunteer,
>>> amateur way so, we need to look for an alternative and here is one of many.
>>>
>>> For years the GFA has been sitting on well over a million dollars. I
>>> suggest that we spend half of it on professional planning and marketing.
>>> We would get an organization to
>>> 1. Draw up a business plan for the GFA and for the Clubs (one each for
>>> large, medium and small Clubs)
>>> 2. Draw up a plan and budget for effective publicity and social media
>>> campaign.
>>> 3. Oversee the implementation of the above.
>>> 4. The implementation should be carried out by the staff employed by the