There are heaps of free sites on the net where you can advertise your glider for sale or see what else is for sale. Tim Mara runs one at wingsandwheels.com, Andrew Maddocks another(don't know if that one is free) there is www.segelflug.de , www.soaring cafe.com etc etc. Printed classified ads are a thing of the past. Ask the newspaper proprietors who have seen their ad income decline steeply.

It is 2011. Faced with a redo of the official magazine an organisation in 2011 decides to keep doing it the way it has been done since the 1950s and we have a bunch of glider pilots exhibiting the same failure of imagination and unwillingness to try anything new or different. What is being done right now in gliding clearly isn't working and worldwide the sport is circling the drain. I'm not terribly surprised but I find it sad.

Mike

At 09:21 AM 7/07/2011, you wrote:
I agree.
Another advantage is that keeping the magazine means that you have a history of gliders that have come up for sale. I have just put up an online ad (a beautiful Libelle). The ad cost is more than $30 and it will disappear in 30 days if I don’t keep feeding it.
Bring ‘em back I say.
Richard Robinson
PS: This is not a free promo but you could go GFA>Classifieds>single seaters and have a look. PPS: Other wise I love the new mag. I hope they will be keep up with the level of content.

From: <mailto:discusdri...@gmail.com>Bruce Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:22 PM
To: <mailto:aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net>Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Gliding Australia!

Hi,

I might be a bit of a luddite, but I wish that the new magazine format retained the classifieds. I always turned to the classifieds page first to see who was selling what, and to dream....hence my confusion when I stated at the back of the mag as usual, and got to the front thinking that would be an unusual place to put them, and then realised that they had been omitted.

On-line classifieds might be great for those who are actually in the market, but for those that are casually window shopping I reckon the published version in the magazine is nice to have. I have a full row of links on my browser banner already, and the window shopping GFA classifieds don't warrant inclusion.

Could it be argued that the price of on-line advertising should be reduced as it does not reach as broad a market? Potential buyers need to make the effort to view it, whereas in the mag it is right there.

Plus, it's an easy way to fill a page. Moving to a 2 monthly format probably won't reduce the need to chase content.

And yes, I have purchased items listed in the classifieds in the past, including some impulse buys.

PS - Now the only advertising content is that which is written as "for information" by agents. This has been an abuse of privilege for many years - not naming names, but this practice is disgraceful. Newspapers charge money for that kind of "free press". Plus there are laws requiring it to be identified as an advertising feature. We masses are being taken for fools, not just for reading it - but for allowing the free subsidy to continue. Don't ban it - but recoup a fee for the service.

Bring back the class (ifieds).

Bruce

On 3 July 2011 21:47, DMcD <<mailto:slutsw...@gmail.com>slutsw...@gmail.com> wrote: >>it was legally necessary for GFA to have a means of communicating with all members

I think if you talk to the editorial team from this current emanation,
there is no intention of filling the mag with this stuff. It is to be
communicated by the internet.

If we pay for Gliding Australia through our subs, and that and
advertising covers the expenses of production, then what's to lose by
giving the surplus copies away for free (in pdf form in the net)?

Sure, it would be nice to see RAA and HGFA pilots queuing up at the
newsagents to buy their copy but they are hardly likely to until they
see the quality etc.

Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com