At 09:35 PM 7/07/2011, you wrote:
On 07/07/2011, Grant Davies <gr...@davies.id.au> wrote:

> Being only new to Gliding and seeing and hearing about membership issues my
> two bobs worth is the if Gliding isn't in people's faces how do we expect it > to flourish. I look at magazines on flying while in the newsagency and think
> if I saw one about Gliding I might have joined Gliding earlier.

I thought that the numbers showed the GFA didn't have a recruiting
problem, it had a retention problem.

Cheers,

Al

As it ever has been Al. Meanwhile in other parts of sport aviation the RAAus membership is headed for 10,000 but you can get a pilot certificate in as little as 20 hours, buy your own aircraft (and maintain it!) and operate independently. I don't think 20 hours is enough but that is what is happening and it seems to be working.

200 hours is nothing short of ridiculous. There are people making a living from teaching both gliding and RAAus who think this is ridiculous too. So instead of buying a motor glider these people buy ultralights instead.

Those of you figuring on selling your expensive new or near new glider when you get too decrepit to fly it (sooner rather than later based on the age profile of glider pilots) may be severely disappointed when you do. The comments about classified ads being in or out of the magazine are irrelevant (one at least seemed to be that they should be in the magazine for the entertainment of tyre kickers). The best way to sell anything is to have more keen buyers which simply isn't going to happen. Sad really.

Mike
Borgelt Instruments - manufacturers of quality soaring instruments since 1978
phone Int'l + 61 746 355784
fax   Int'l + 61 746 358796
cellphone Int'l + 61 428 355784

email:   mborg...@borgeltinstruments.com