I know my grandfather came to the U.S. through Ellis Island in 1905,
and I know he travelled from Faial with a boyhood buddy. In scouring
the Ellis Island records, I found the ship manifest but only the
buddy's name, not my grandfather's name.

I know I have the correct ship manifest because each passenger's U.S.
destination shows on the manifest and this information matches for my
grandfather's friend. I went through the manifest carefully, aware
that spellings could be off because of misunderstandings between
immigrants and immigration or ship officials who spoke only English.
I'm also aware that some immigrants were given "American names" when
they entered, often against their will or without their knowledge.
None of these issues explain the absence of my grandfather's name on
the manifest.

Does anyone know other ways I might be able to track down an accurate
listing of my grandfather's entry?