Thanks Cheri, appreciate your input. Karen On Mar 18, 11:16 am, Cheri Mello <[email protected]> wrote: > Karen, > > Legacy has its Source Writer feature. So with the search sites, I list the > URL (I think Legacy prompts you). I also put in the date I accessed the > site. > > You didn't mention census, but when I started, I used to make photocopies of > them. There was no other way back in the day. Now, as I'm slowly adding my > paper stuff in, I go out to Ancestry (there's Heritage Quest, Footnote, and > Family Search) and download the image from there. Then I throw away the > paper copy. > > The census image is in a folder called Genealogy. Under that I have several > folders: Mello, Blackburn, etc. So if I found my ancestors on the 1930, I > would call the file 1930ManuelMello and file it in the Mello folder (I put > the head of household in the name). If he had an adult son with family in > the household, I might save the image twice and call it 1930JohnMello. That > way when I'm working on John, I don't have to figure out where he was in the > 1930. I can see it right there. > > Birth, marriage, newspaper clippings, etc: Those I scan and put in the > program. I keep the paper copies of them. I have a notebook (well, many). > So if I had the obit for Manuel Mello, I pull my Portuguese family notebook > and look for the Mello tab (my tabs are alphabetical). I have an acid free > sheet protector and I put the clipping in there. > > Once the CCA is fully online, I'll probably start downloading the images > from there and putting them in the computer folders. So if I had the birth > of Luiz de Mello, I'd download it and save it to the Mello folder. I just > call it LuizMelloBC (for birth). If I had his marriage, it would be > LuizMelloMC (for marriage). When I get multiple Luiz', I'd have > LuizMello1825BC and LuizMello1856BC so I can tell which is the father and > which is the son. I put their birth year in the title. Anyways, once I > start doing that, I will probably throw away the photocopies. > > But having them sit just on my computer is NOT safe. Anything can happen - > a hard drive crash, capacitor plague (I've had that twice), a virus, etc. > So having them on my computer is nice, but I would be hospitalized with > clinical depression if anything happened to my genealogy data! So back it > up - in multiple places. An external hard drive, an online backup service > (Mozy, Carbonite, maybe Dropbox would work for this). If you work a lot > with a particular person, maybe you want to work out a deal where every week > you email your backup files to each other. You don't have to have the same > genealogy program they do - they just keep it in case your computer crashes > and you need that file to restore onto your new computer. > > Dick Eastman (genealogy tech guru) had written many times about genealogy > storage and back up options. I'll look them up and post them later today. > > Other people will have other ways of organizing. This is just works for me. > Cheri Mello > Listowner, Azores-Gen > Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, > Achada
-- To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. Follow the confirmation directions when they arrive. For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

