Jesse, I agree with you. I have FTM but use Ancestry all the time. Don't have 
to 
take my computer with me when I go researching. I am amazed at Genealogy 
meetings at all the people who have nothing but bad things to say about the 
site. I frankly don't understand their reasoning. I am happy to make 
connections 
with people that are researching the same people I am. If I have information 
they have not been able to find...I am happy to share. Appreciate when they 
open 
doors for me, too. I back up to everything including online back up sites. 
 JoElayne



________________________________
From: Jesse Pacheco <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Fri, March 18, 2011 1:02:19 PM
Subject: Re: [AZORES-Genealogy] genealogy organization

With the very little time I have for genealogy lately, organization, which is 
already not my strong point, is something I'm always looking for a quicker, 
easier way to accomplish.

While I know it's not the most secure method, I love using Ancestry.com's 
online 
family tree maker. In conjunction with their new iPhone app, it gives me easy 
access to all of my information anywhere. I can attach documents to any 
specific 
"event" in an ancestor's life, which is very helpful for organization. Having 
someone's baptism record right on their baptism information, along with a 
transcription, is great. I don't use an actual offline software regularly (just 
to open/export gedcoms) but I'm pretty sure most can do what the website does. 
The difference is that the website is free (not the records on it though) and 
so 
are the updates, which is nice. It's also available anywhere you have internet 
access, which is another key factor for me.

While I do backup all of my scanned documents and information to my hard drive, 
in case the website goes down, I recognize that even that isn't permanent. I 
unfortunately just don't have the time or space to maintain a physical copy of 
every piece of information. So Ancestry works for me! I attached a screenshot 
of 
a "Person Page" for my great great grandfather to show how it all works.

On 3/18/2011 12:19 PM, Karen wrote:
> As I collect information on my Azorean roots, I enter it into my
> genealogy software program (I use Legacy).. But what do you do with
> the paper.  When I started out, I didn't have much but slowly I'm
> collecting history, language, search sites, birth, marriage etc.
> certificates or transcriptions.. How do you organize this so you can
> find it.  I would be interested in what you all use that works for you
> before I decide.  Files,computer????
> 
> Thanks
> Karen
> 


-- Jesse Pacheco
[email protected]

-- To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that 
says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to