Karen

This is a very good question! Keep in mind, though, that there are many 
different ways to organize your files.... many different systems; as many, 
probably,  as there are researchers. The trick will be to figure out what you 
want to do and stick with it. 

This is what I do:  First of all, I enter in proven data to my genealogy 
program (Reunion). It makes it so much easier to keep track of info, 
relationships, what you have, and what you don't have. If I collect a 
significant amount of data from another person like a gedcom, for instance, I 
will put it into a new. blank family file .... NOT my family file. That way, I 
keep the data intact, but it isn't cluttering up my family file until, if and 
when,  I can prove it's my family.

Now for papers:  I started out with one binder with four little tabs in it for 
each of my grandparent's lines. You can imagine (or maybe not just yet  :)  how 
soon I outgrew that. :)  I printed up everything that came my way and 
eventually migrated my printed data into binders. I now have a 4 drawers in a 
file cabinet filled. I put each document (even photocopies) into archival 
sleeves just for neatness and preservation. Original records are in a safe 
place off site. Now, though, I am trying to go more paperless, in my genealogy 
and with personal documents, so everything is in the computer......

Digital copes?:  I finally realized I should be accessing the power of the 
computer to preserve, organize, display, and search.... so, I eventually 
scanned in ALL my paper documents to the computer. I use a simple method of 
organizing:  I have a surname folder and within that, is a folder for each 
surname. Within that folder is a folder for each male in my direct line. As an 
example, my father's folder path would be:  Surnames/Andrade/Norman Andrade. 
Included in the Norman Andrade folder are all documents pertaining to him and 
my mother from the time they started their family (marriage) including my birth 
certificate, etc. Anything on my parents as children is filed in their father's 
folder. Some people like to break it down further, but this is my simple system 
that works well for me.

BTW, I do not just have one computer copy. I backup hourly to a Time Machine 
external drive (a Mac thing) and monthly clone my entire computer to a 
different external hard drive that is put away in a very safe, fireproof theft 
proof place. In addition, all my genealogy data is stored in the cloud of 
Dropbox. So, I am well covered for any catastrophes.  :)

Paper or digital or both? Everyone needs to decide that and their 
organizational scheme for themselves. What works for me may not for you. But it 
seems as though you are just starting out so it's a good time to get something 
in place.

Good luck to you and enjoy!!!

Kathy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Visit the Azores GenWeb Project:
        http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/azoresindex.html
Climb my Family Tree:
        http://homepage.mac.com/kmacardoza/Genealogy/Kathy/index.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



On Mar 18, 2011, at 9:19 AM, Karen wrote:

> As I collect information on my Azorean roots, I enter it into my
> genealogy software program (I use Legacy).. But what do you do with
> the paper.  When I started out, I didn't have much but slowly I'm
> collecting history, language, search sites, birth, marriage etc.
> certificates or transcriptions.. How do you organize this so you can
> find it.  I would be interested in what you all use that works for you
> before I decide.  Files,computer????
> 
> Thanks
> Karen

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to