Hi Karen,
   I tend to be "organized," at least that is what my friends say about me.  I 
have difficulty, (go crazy), if I can't find something I know I have.
   I began by entering the information from documents into my geneology program 
(FTM) and then bought a small safe in which I keep the document, transcribed 
and translated.  I file the document by date, that seems to make it easier for 
me to find the doc. when I need to check for something. I used to have stacks 
of hard copies that took forever to look through and find something I knew I 
had.
   My FTM program has something called scrapbook into which I can scan these 
documents, pictures, etc.  This is one of my future goals.  To date, I havenot 
done that.
   In addition to the docs. in the safe, I have a large binder for each of my 4 
grandparents and my husband's 4 grandparents (12 binders to date).  In a few 
cases, the info I have has necessitated binders for some of the family 
information for great-grandparents.  I have dividers in each binder (all the 
same, so I don't have to think about where to look) with the following tabs:  
Charts, documents, worksheets, maps, emails, (sub-divided by person if I have 
several people communicating with me about this ancestor), oral history, 
pictures.
   I can explain the type of information I put into each section, if you need 
an explanation.
   I have another shelf of binders for general information about research.  
Those binders are labeled A-Z, depending on that I call the information.  The 
titles range from Abbreviations, books, citizenship, DNA, Fraternal societies, 
general info., history, etc.  I now have 6 large binders where I can find info. 
on how to, where to, when to, kind of questions. 
  I filed Cheri's info today under DNA; I have pictures of the places I visited 
in the Azores under the name of the Island, etc.  
   If I can help you in any way to organize your information in a way that 
works for you, contact me privately.  Celeste, Hayward, CA
Celeste Perry [email protected]

--- On Fri, 3/18/11, Karen <[email protected]> wrote:


From: Karen <[email protected]>
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] genealogy organization
To: "Azores Genealogy" <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, March 18, 2011, 9:19 AM


As I collect information on my Azorean roots, I enter it into my
genealogy software program (I use Legacy).. But what do you do with
the paper.  When I started out, I didn't have much but slowly I'm
collecting history, language, search sites, birth, marriage etc.
certificates or transcriptions.. How do you organize this so you can
find it.  I would be interested in what you all use that works for you
before I decide.  Files,computer????

Thanks
Karen

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."



      

-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to