Of course what works for one doesn't always work for another...But after
attending the Family History Expo in Pleasanton last year, I learned some
nice archiving tips during one of the classes there.

 

The instructor made a very good point when she pointed out, that if you
don't make your discoveries easy to find by anyone coming behind you, all
your hard work could go to waste or lost all over again. I for one, would
like my kids to someday take the reins from me and keep the research and
documenting going. So, I want to make it easy for them to follow what I've
done.

 

I have set up folders on my hard drive for the following sources:

 

Admin - logins, passwords, favorite sites...etc

Family Trees - Family tree reports and backup files for Family Tree software

Pictures - All pictures - Sub folders for each Surname or subject ex:
cemetery & church photos or Flags and symbols

Primary - These are primary sources of information like Baptism and Birth
records, Census, Wills, Immigration...etc. I have a sub folder for each type

Seconday - These are secondary sources of information like correspondence,
notes, general records.

 

I also have binders for each of these. Although I only keep paper copies of
things that are not easily replaced or re-found, things that wouldn't make
it through a scanner, or things that are originals and have sentimental
value to me. Eash binder is divided the same way the computer folders are.

 

As your database grows, so will your need for storage if you keep everything
you find on paper. (As well as killing trees to do it)  ;p)...sorry the tree
hugger in me is coming out.

 

In each folder, the files are named in a consistent manner as to keep them
grouped together and easy to find. For example: A will would be named like
this: Medeiros-Jose-Will-1979.pdf, a marriage certificiate would be
Medeiros-Jose-Mary Fernandes-1925.jpg

 

Naming files consistently is VERY IMPORTANT!

 

And lastly, as all of you are or should be alreasy aware.....BACKUP  BACKUP
BACKUP  BACKUP  BACKUP  BACKUP  BACKUP  BACKUP  BACKUP  BACKUP 

 

So there's my take on it.

 

Jacki 

 



-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Karen
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2011 9:19 AM
To: Azores Genealogy
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] genealogy organization

As I collect information on my Azorean roots, I enter it into my genealogy
software program (I use Legacy).. But what do you do with the paper.  When I
started out, I didn't have much but slowly I'm collecting history, language,
search sites, birth, marriage etc.
certificates or transcriptions.. How do you organize this so you can find
it.  I would be interested in what you all use that works for you before I
decide.  Files,computer????

Thanks
Karen

--
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions
when they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."


-- 
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].  Follow the confirmation directions when 
they arrive.
For more options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
(vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."

Reply via email to