From: David Perry <djperr...@sbcglobal.net>
To: azores@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 4:10 PM
Subject: [AZORES-Genealogy] Pronunciation, Lisbon vs. Sao Miguel Portuguese

I'm starting to learn Portuguese and everything I see and hear doesn't sound at
all like what I remember as a child while listening to my born in Sao Miguel
father talking to his relatives and neighbors, all of whom spoke only
Portuguese.  For instance, I specifically remember very well two words:  "legs"
which my father pronounced pad-nish (doesn't sound at all like what I see in a
dictionary - pernas) and chourico which my father pronounced shoo-dees.  How
different is the Sao Miguel Portuguese from Lisbon Portuguese?  Are there a few
general rules I can follow such as "r's sound like d's" or "drop the ending
vowel" as in the two examples above?
David   --