Since words have multiple meanings, particularly on translation, could the 
intent of "beat" been different? Keeping in mind that I know absolutely no 
Portuguese... I  found that the most common term for "to beat" is "vencer" *but 
*that word's most common reverse translation is actually not a physical 
beating but rather overcoming, as in showing mastery over or subjugating. 
Just a thought...

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 9:27:12 PM UTC-7, Cheri Mello wrote:
>
> One of the things I learned from that beginning genealogy class when I 
> began was:
> Who said it?
> When did they say it?
> How did they know?
>
> So,  Manny says his mom said what her aunt said this story.  OK, so this 
> story is being retold and translated.  That answers the WHO.
>
> But WHEN did this aunt say this?  It is something this aunt remembered 
> from the age of 5?  A memory is always open to question.  A childhood 
> memory seems more so.  And this story is being retold.
>
> HOW did this aunt know?  Did she stand there and watch?
>
> I don't know..."beat the body" brings an image to mind that a stick, bat, 
> meat clever, something was taken to the body to basically abuse it.  To me, 
> it just doesn't seem right.  Maybe it was a custom to that area?  I thought 
> some type of acid (lime?) was used to aid decomposition. To beat a body (or 
> a piece of meat - which is muscle) is to tenderize it.  But I don't have 
> any experience with beating a piece of meat and observing the composition 
> either.   So I concur, maybe "beat" isn't the right word here, but what 
> would be the correct word?  I'll have to ask some of the people at the hall.
>
> The body that was dumped in the ocean - sounds like an isolated incident 
> to me.
>
> Cheri Mello
> Listowner, Azores-Gen
> Researching: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das 
> Tainhas, Achada 
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to