I'm glad that my great grandparents bought their plot. As well our family was 
lucky to have a mausoleum to store the bones.

I have a relative that works at one if the cemeteries in Graciosa and I never 
heard him say anything about taking a body that had not decomposed to the 
ocean. The ritual is if the body is still intact after 7 years they call a 
priest to re bless the body. If after 7 years the body has still not decomposed 
they are considered a saint. What I can't remember is if they keep the body in 
the ground. I do know that the family is not informed at the first 7 years 
again can't remember what happens at the 14 year mark. 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 23, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Antonio Roque <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
> 
> My father died in S. Miguel, we bought the plot and did a few things in the 
> grave, had we not done that after 7 years they would have opened up the grave 
> and taken his bones to a crypt
> 
>> On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:02:04 PM UTC-4, Liliana Harris wrote:
>> I had thought I would travel to the Azores this summer and do a little 
>> research in the cemeteries. Now I read (again, I will admit, fiction) that 
>> the people dig up (all?) the bodies after a certain number of years. Can 
>> this possibly be true, especially in a Catholic culture? Why? Where would 
>> they put the bodies? Would the headstones remain?
> 
> -- 
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail 
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the right 
> that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
> --- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to