Every parish had a cemetery, the oldest grave was the first to be used, families that had means could by the grave and any family member could be buried there after 7 years, the length of time differed between cemeteries. Some areas decomposed the body faster than others. In Madalena for example, they used to add lime to the graves to speed the process. Now 4 vases with liquid are added to the coffins, this is done because now a days many pass away in Horta, Terceira or Sao Miguel and by law for the body to travel it has to be inside a zinc box inside the coffin, before the coffin is lowered it is opened and a whole is cut in the zinc box this starts the decomposing process.

In the old days if a grave is dug and the body was still intact, it was reburied for another 7 years, if it is still intact the body after that time the body it taken and put on a boat and taken out to sea where they would beat the body and dump it in the ocean. I do not know what is the current process after 7 years.

Most families knew where their loved ones were buried, some marked the graves with a cross others stopped by once in a while to drop flowers or prayed. But people mostly offered masses or donated to the poor in the deceased name. Visiting the grave site was not the tradition that I remember.

A paid grave can be reused in times of need or when there are no other graves available.

Manny