Six of my ancestors were buried inside the church (late 1700s early 1800s).
Probably more...those are the obits that I have.

I had visited that church when I traveled to the Azores. But at that time I
did not know my people had been buried inside the church! I don't know if
those had been dug up or if the remains are still there. I understand that
practice was outlawed.

Mary

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014, Liliana Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

> I had thought I would travel to the Azores this summer and do a little
> research in the cemeteries. Now I read (again, I will admit, fiction) that
> the people dig up (all?) the bodies after a certain number of years. Can
> this possibly be true, especially in a Catholic culture? Why? Where would
> they put the bodies? Would the headstones remain?
>
> --
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the
> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
> membership."
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to 
> [email protected]<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','azores%[email protected]');>
> .
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to