Linda,

I have Cedros, Flores ancestors and have also slogged through many records
before getting the book, especially the ebook, searchable version. I
believe I have read every page of every parish book.

Who are your family there?   Mine are that of Joao Antonio Vieira b. Corvo
died 1847 Cedros,  and Michaela de Jesus ( daughter of Alexandre Robdrigues
and Marianna de Jesus) b 1789 Cedros parents fro Corvo

Eric Edgar

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM, linda <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> My name is Linda, and all my antecedents are from the Azores.  I've always
> had an interest in my family history, and I had thought that "someday" it
> would be fun to tackle the project of expanding my family tree.  About two
> months ago while I was idly googling this and that, I discovered that the
> Islands' parish records are now online.  I found my grandparents' baptismal
> records, and that was it-- I was completely hooked on chasing down the rest
> of the family as far back as I can.
>
> It's been great fun.  I read a little Portuguese, enjoy history and
> puzzles, and have a research background, so the learning curve hasn't been
> too bad-- though I'm certainly finding that deciphering the handwriting on
> some records can be challenging to say the least!
>
> I knew that my family migrated to California from Terceira (Villa de Praia
> and Santa Barbara) and Flores (Santa Cruz and Cedros mainly), but I was
> surprised to discover that Santa Maria figures prominently in my family
> history too.  It looks like I also have a connection to Faial though I
> haven't pursued it yet.
>
> So far, I've done a little of the Villa de Praia line (back to about 1800)
> and most of the Cedros line (though with gaps).
>
> At the moment, I'm concentrating on Santa Maria and have got back to circa
> 1710, mostly via the marriage records.  I'm currently working on the
> records from the Matriz de NS de Assuncao, and then will tackle Sao Pedro
> and Santo Espirito.   So far, this branch of my family is packed full of
> Resendes, with a few Curvelos, an Almada, a Cabral and a couple of
> Figueiredos and Souzas.
>
> Finally, a huge thank you to everyone in this group.  I've been reading
> old posts, and the information they contain has been extremely helpful.  I
> really wish I'd known about the Flores marriage book before trying to slog
> through the Cedros records (agh!), but it will certainly be useful when I
> return to working on the relations from that island.  I've also read the
> posts on software recommendations, and I appreciate all the various points
> that were suggested for consideration.   At the moment, I'm working with
> paper and pencil, but I definitely see the need for a database.  Trying out
> a couple of the programs is one of my next priorities.
>
> I expect that I will be asking for help with decipherment and nuance.  As
> my skills improve, I hope I'll be able to contribute back to the group too,
>
> for now, back to reading baptisms,
>
> Linda
>
>  --
> For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail
> (vacation) mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/Azores. Click in the blue area on the
> right that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my
> membership."
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Azores Genealogy" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.
>

-- 
For options, such as changing to List, Digest, Abridged, or No Mail (vacation) 
mode, log into your Google account and visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/Azores.  Click in the blue area on the right 
that says "Join this group" and it will take you to "Edit my membership."
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Azores Genealogy" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/azores.

Reply via email to