I got Portuguese citizenship through the San Francisco consulate - my
father was born in the Azores.  After I received my citizenship, my son did
the same thing in New York  My having done it first made it easier for
him.  Actually, it was all pretty easy for both of us.  The only glitch
that might have been a problem was my father changed his name from Joao
Pereira which was on his birth certificate to John Perry which was on my
birth certificate.  Fortunately, he had made an official name change back
in 1939 and had a paper record to prove it.  There was concern at the
consulate that older records wouldn't fly in Lisbon - I had to get a recent
BC for my father, the one he had from 1939 wouldn't fly - but they let the
name change thing go through.  Without that certificate, my (and my son's
applications) would have been denied.

As for taxes paid in both countries, if you earn money in both countries,
you pay taxes in both countries.  The US is the only major country however
that taxes you on earnings overseas even if you haven't set foot in the US
for decades.  And while there is an IRS tax credit for income earned
overseas, I don't know if that applies to capital gains taxes or other
forms of income besides earned income.  The forms required to satisfy the
IRS are formidable and typically cost a few thousand dollars to complete if
you pay someone.
David