Chris Sizemore wrote:
yes, i agree that TV-Anytime supplies some of the requirement (indeed, perhaps everything brian was suggesting... brian?) but does TVA, despite the URN (the crid, i.e. crid://my.id.creator/xxxxxxxxxxx88r; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crid), supply the "on the Web" part? depending on one's philosophical bent, that's one of the potential problems with URNs & thus CRIDs: they can't (easily) be dereferenced, in the way that a "regular old" URL can be... URNs aren't "on the Web"...

There's some confusion over CRIDs IMO - even in RFC 4078 they get referred to as URLs. I think it's best to think of them as URIs, designed to be unique and location-independent. TV-Anytime defines the concept of a CRI service that (amongst other things) provides mappings between CRIDs and locators, which could include http, rtsp etc *URLs*. This gives you the benefits of both time-invariant identifiers and time-varying locators, at the cost of an extra lookup.

S

PS First post to the list, so I should probably explain who I am - I work for BBC Research at Kingswood Warren, on a self-explanatory project called Beyond HD, and on various other things, including some internetty stuff. Until recently I was working on a project to try and iron the kinks out of providing TV-Anytime compliant metadata via DVB, so I know my way around the standard, but don't consider myself to be an expert. Prod Andrew McParland if you want one of those. ;-) I worked on the "WiiPG" demonstrator that Matt Cashmore posted to the list recently - a fine result from our entirely unofficial Lunchtime Research Programme...
-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to