James Cridland wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/breakfast/pip/jrjen/ - good.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/breakfast/archive/07/07/10/ - better.

That's not better; URLs are supposed to be unique. Okay, Breakfast isn't a great example for my case, but even with that, if it's ever repeated, your URL might no longer be appropriate. I believe that is exactly why it is done as it is, given the vast majority of programmes might be repeated, can be part of schedules, different series, and so on.

http://www.plasticbag.org/files/misc/pips_etech.pdf describe it quite well, by the BBC people who implemented it.

The 'jrjen' in this URL (no idea, but I suspect it's an internal ID for the PIP system) isn't easily guessable. A date (in this case, a backwards one) is more guessable.

PIPs aren't meant to be guessable, as far as I know. You'd almost never want to "guess" one particular episode's unique location (again, for almost all programmes, it'd be pretty impossible - going by your date thing, is it the first date an episode is shown? The latest? How do I know which one I've just listened to?); you'd come in from the daily schedule, the programme's homepage, the series' homepage, the archive, etc., all of which *are* guessable (I'd take the "/pip" out of the archive page, but that's minor).

Another example (from the same area):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artist/x9qv/ - good
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artist/elton_john/ <http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artist/elton_john/> - better

Okay, I can't follow that one - I guess if you had two artists of the same name? But then I'd go with changing one of their names. ;)

> Having said that, after five days I'm understanding the reasons for why
> the URLs currently work the way they do. And I think it might be
> partially my job to fix that. Just hoping nobody notices quite yet.

It's not perfect currently, but it's certainly well designed, and removing PIPs would in my opinion be quite a step backwards and not a "fix".

--
ATB,
Matthew  |  http://www.dracos.co.uk/

-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to