Last fm used to use musicbrainz to disambiguate artists

Then they stopped paying the data licence and turned off musicbrainz

Which means they just match on strings

According to brainz there are 3 oasis' in existence (last fm has one)
And something like 13 auroras (again last fm has one). Clearly this impacts
on their ability to build recommendations (ie their core business)

The good news is they're now paying for the brainz data licence again which
means they should soon be able to differentiate between them

Maybe expect to see:
last.fm/artist/39ab1aed-75e0-4140-bd47-540276886b60
Soon?




On 16/7/07 12:17, "Andrew Bowden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 
>>> Another example (from the same area):
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artist/x9qv/ - good
>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artist/elton_john/
>>> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artist/elton_john/> - better
>> Okay, I can't follow that one - I guess if you had two
>> artists of the same name? But then I'd go with changing one
>> of their names. ;)
> 
> One of the little niggles I have with Last.fm is that it doesn't seem to
> cope when there's two bands with the same name as I discovered when I
> found a photo of some dodgy looking metal people instead of a folk
> supergroup that I was expecting!
> http://www.last.fm/music/Blue+Murder/+wiki
> 
> 
> -
> Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please
> visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.
> Unofficial list archive:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

-
Sent via the backstage.bbc.co.uk discussion group.  To unsubscribe, please 
visit http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/archives/2005/01/mailing_list.html.  
Unofficial list archive: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

Reply via email to