On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 19:06, Richard Lockwood
<richard.lockw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Me, I reformat them, smash 'em up with a lump hammer and stick 'em in
> the "general metal" recycling at the local recycling centre, on the
> basis that it's more trouble than it's worth to get data back, just to
> get my bank details, or my Second Life password.;
>
> Where's your problem?

I had a laptop HDD die on my last year. I had to coax the Apple
Geniuses (specifically, the manager) to let me have my own hard drive
back after the repair. It's been formatted about four times, and now
it languishes in a folded-up, sealed electrostatic-resistant baggie.
I'll probably use it - bagged - as a paper-weight for a few years,
until whatever data might still be hidden within is of no continued
sensitivity. Then I'll chuck it out.

Does this make me paranoid?

I heard that when making Lord of the Rings, the producers loaded a
post-production working copy of the movie onto an iPod for them to
take to London for the composers and musicians to produce music to.
Person carrying it was damn close to getting the thing mugged. It's
almost like there aren't free and open source encryption tools...

--
Tom Morris
http://tommorris.org/