I waited for him to cite the example of the BBC as a model that could
survive the Internet revolution... but he didn't, surely because in
the USA there is no equivalent.
To be fair he does mention NPR as a successful model (or at least a less unsuccessful one). National Public Radio is a radio network funded by donations and voluntary subscriptions (with some government funding as well). PBS TV has the same funding model, and both services are regarded as the main source of "highbrow" content in the US.

Americans routinely think of the BBC as the PBS/NPR of the UK, which is both gratifying (they are associated with high quality media) and frustrating (PBS/NPR content can often be seen as too "worthy" or righteous, and equating the two doesn't convey the sheer scale and scope of the BBC)

Brendan.

Sean DALY wrote:
http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2009/03/newspapers-and-thinking-the-unthinkable/

I was fascinated by this piece.

Example: "Society doesn’t need newspapers. What we need is journalism."

I waited for him to cite the example of the BBC as a model that could
survive the Internet revolution... but he didn't, surely because in
the USA there is no equivalent.

I concur with his viewpoint that business models are being broken
faster than new ones can be invented.

Sean.