As an American who worked for the BBC for eight years, it's interesting to
see some of the comments here and say that they aren't entirely accurate.
It's not correct to conflate PBS and NPR. Although both public, they are
funded with slightly different mechanisms and are different organisationally
because Republicans felt that TV was more threatening than radio when the
two organisations were being established. NPR has its own central production
operations. PBS does not. PBS grew out of educational television, and it
shows.

As for NPR being too 'worthy', it really depends. Unlike the BBC with
national stations, NPR member stations are pretty diverse. The typical NPR
station used to be classical music and news, but that format is losing
traction. If you listen to KCRW out of Santa Monica, some of their
programming makes Radio 1 look pretty staid. This American Life, one of my
personal favouriate programmes, is excellent, laid-back and doesn't have
equivalent on British radio. Apart from the classical stations, NPR stations
are edgy and indie compared to Radio 4.This is all to say. The US is a big
country, and NPR stations are very diverse. The BBC and NPR are products of
their own cultures.

As for Clay's piece, it's one of the best of a kind. I would say that much
of the discussion here is confusing public funding with a business model.
Comparing newspapers, which I've worked for the in the past and work for
now, to a publicly funded radio and TV network is comparing apples and
oranges. The BBC has had a relatively stable source of funding - the licence
fee. Commercial newspapers are finding their readership and advertising
decline. Unless the licence fee were extended to a public service newspaper
(highly unlikely), the BBC doesn't provide that much of a model that could
easily be transferred to newspapers.

best,
k*

Kevin Anderson

* standard disclaimer about these views being my own and not my employer's
applies.