2009/3/15 Andy Halsall <andyhals...@ictsc.com>:
> On Sunday 15 March 2009 14:55:43 Dave Crossland wrote:
>> 2009/3/15 Kevin Anderson <global...@gmail.com>:
>> > As for Clay's piece, it's one of the best of a kind. I would say that
>> > much of the discussion here is confusing public funding with a business
>> > model.
>>
>> I think the phrase "business model" is colloquially used as "funding
>> model for people for whom the Internet is dissolving the funding model
>> they previously relied upon" rather than "profiteering scheme for
>> shareholders"
>
> I think business model is the right term when talking about how something is
> going to make money,

But make money for whom? Those doing the activity at the core of the
profession - in the case of newspapers, the reporters; in the case of
music, the artists - or for those involved in the profession in roles
peripheral to it's core, and shareholders?

"We should be talking about new models for employing reporters rather
than resuscitating old models for employing publishers; the more time
we waste fantasizing about magic solutions for the latter problem, the
less time we have to figure out real solutions to the former one."
- http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2009/02/why-small-payments-wont-save-publishers/

> to me it seems to include distribution, revenue
> generation, and operations in general.  What people seem to miss is that when
> they want to take advantage of a new method of distribution, they need to make
> allowances for it in other areas.

The internet takes care of "distribution" and "operations in general"
because, the people formerly known as the audience do the bulk of
distribution for you and software takes the labour out of general
operations.

> I fear it will be
> along time until businesses realise just how different the world is when a
> perfect digital copy can be provided to thousands if not millions of people,
> with little or no investment.

"The great moral question of the twenty-first century is this: if all
knowing, all culture, all art, all useful information can be
costlessly given to everyone at the same price that it is given to
anyone; if everyone can have everything, anywhere, all the time, why
is it ever moral to exclude anyone?" - Eben Moglen, 2001
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2263095526020953463