> From: owner-backst...@lists.bbc.co.uk
> To be honest, I'm unconvinced by Project Canvas. It's
> difficult to see how a UK only system is going to compete in
> this day and age. What does it do that a Google TV box can't
> do? Why would a manufacturer make a Canvas box instead of
> something that they can sell in most of the world (or even
> all of the world with the right components)?

We live in a global technology age.

But we also don't.

The systems in a UK TV reciever are different to those of a French one,
of a German one, of a USA one.  The devices themselves will be very
similar but each market will have its own device with its own firmware
and differences.  Language is the obvious one but then there's bespoke
EPGs, platform differences and so on and so on.  Some devices have a
common stack with different layers on top.  Some just have different
stacks.

So why would they want to?  Well they wouldn't.  But they have to do it
already and will no doubt have to for many years in the future.