On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:34, Scot McSweeney-Roberts
<bbc_backst...@mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk> wrote:

> I think that until we start seeing manufacturers piping up saying that
> they're going to start supporting Canvas in devices I can pop down to
> Tesco and buy it's too early to say that Canvas will dominate the
> market. If it remains the sole preserve of BT Vision/Talk Talk TV
> boxes then it is far, far away from dominating the market. At the
> moment, Canvas seems to be the preserve of the terrestrial
> broadcasters and a handful of ISPs.

Given the specs haven't been finished yet, it's the preserve of
precisely nobody _right now_.

However, the positioning is very much of a "Freeview plus Internet"
(rather than an IPTV proposition per se), which means it'll be pushed
very very hard in the direction of those flogging Freeview/Freesat
boxes today.

The specs as they stand are not going to be an accident. The intent
will be that existing box suppliers can bolt on Canvas capabilities
with not a huge amount of effort, and thus, within a year or so of
mainstream launch, traditional Freeview boxes will cease to exist.

You don't plough the amount of money the BBC has loaned the partners
into a venture like this without having a plan along these lines. Even
BT, TalkTalk, and the broadcasters aren't _that_ daft.

M.

M.