On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 21:22, David Tomlinson
<d.tomlin...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> The Google TV box (Logitech Revue) is an addition to your set top box, so it
> does not integrate with Free To Air TV and may be unable to access UK
> catch-up content.

But it's also getting installed directly into televisions and there
will probably be a DirectTV box in the US - it's not hard to imagine
DVB-T2 boxes running Google TV.

I'm not saying that Google TV is the Canvas killer - it's more that
things like Google TV seem to make a lot more sense than Canvas (at
least for boxes people go out and buy - maybe it makes sense for
things BT Vision boxes). So that's anything like Google TV, Boxee, the
modern "Internet TVs" companies like Samsung are making or one of the
other options out there. Pretty much anything with a web browser +
full fat flash will work with almost every TV catch up service out
there, so I'm not sure why there needs to be a special UK only
platform developed. Google TV adds organization, some sugar so I don't
have to click on a full screen button and an app platform - which is
why I find it far the most interesting option, other people will have
other preferences.

> Or better still a simple URI and python/perl/ruby/curl script to access or
> download Canvas, Free To Air TV catchup content (including HDTV).

As long as we're getting broadcaster solutions to internet problems
then that's just not going to happen.

Scot