On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 13:42, Scot McSweeney-Roberts
<bbc_backst...@mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 13:08, Mo McRoberts <m...@nevali.net> wrote:
>
>> Given the specs haven't been finished yet, it's the preserve of
>> precisely nobody _right now_.
>>

> True, but I still would have expected at least one of the big
> manufacturers to be on board by now.

Pretty sure Pace and Humax are.

> Failing that, even someone like
> Tesco saying they will have a Freeview HD + Canvas box in their
> Technika range. I've not even seen any hint of non-committal support -
> who is going to be making this "market destroying" technology?

Well, "widespread support from the industry":

http://www.projectcanvas.info/index.cfm/news/?mode=alias&alias=INDUSTRY-GETS-BEHIND-PROJECT-CANVAS

> What's the point of going through all the trouble of defining a spec
> if no one is going to use it to build something? At the moment it
> seems like "we'll just dump this spec out in the world and like magic
> it will appear everywhere".

What're they going to do? Make the negotiations public? Committing to
something like this is something which tends to happen in
syncronicity. A bunch of manufacturers announce, once the specs are
baked, that they'll be releasing products in time for <x> important
date. Until then, you get only rumours. They're a paranoid bunch,
generally.

Anyway, mark the Olympics in your diary.

M.