The Baha'i Studies Listserv
*"Sure, and the same is true of Islam... both in terms of how Muslims
understand Islamic general roles, or, in this case, how non-Muslims at
times go too far in attributing problematic gender roles to Islam per
se. As I've said to you before, if you really believe that God is
merciful and just, and if you really believe that the Quran comes from
God, then it should be possible to follow the Quran and be
compassionate and just to women."*

As a Muslim, I agree with you. But I think I understand where Susan
is coming from in regards to her own religion's view. The Baha'i Faith (in
my understanding) is a Dispensationalist religion - whereby it is believed
that God sort of "took" His/Her Spirit away from the most previous
revelation (Islam), and placed it in the hands of the Baha'i Faith.
Therefore, all spiritual progress that has since been made by other
religions is to really be credited to the Baha'i Faith for being the kind of
"command center" of the religious universe, that is sending out inspiration
to the rest of the religious world. Hence, progress made in other religions
is not to be credited to those religions themselves, but to the Baha'i
Faith. That is why some Baha'is tend to gloss over the changes and reforms
that other religions are going under, because it is believed that a true
practice of older religions would ultimately lead to very bad things.

You can also look at it like a business owner. The Baha'i Faith would be a
very kind business executive who wishes for his competitors success in their
endeavors, but will still compete for buying customers nonetheless.
Therefore, he/she can't excessively praise their competition to the point
that people may go to their competitors. I personally have no problem in
saying that the Baha'i Faith has brought some progressive teachings to the
world of religion, such as an universal auxiliary language, encouragement of
developing skills in the arts and sciences, promoting reading and writing
intelligence, the equality of the sexes, the universality of human beings,
the promotion of concord between religions. What irks me, though, is when
some Baha'is say that none of the other religions have these teachings,
which seems to contradict the whole idea of promoting concord between the
religions - because it's basically saying "let's get along everyone. I'm
better than all of you", in my view. But maybe that is an emotional rather
than rational view of mine.

Salam

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Gilberto Simpson <gilberto.simp...@gmail.com