I was going to stay out of this but foolishly decided to point out
that in HTML5 specification, both the b and i tags now have semantic
meaning. I quote from the Working Draft regarding the b tag, 'the
element has now been given the specific semantic purpose of
representing text “offset from its surrounding content without
conveying any extra emphasis or importance, and for which the
conventional typographic presentation is bold text".' The i tag has a
similar semantic meaning.  This in turn gives both the em and strong
tags a stronger semantic meaning as well since they are specific for
text that is to provide voice to the text, emphasis and importance as
opposed to a typographical difference.

Unfortunately, Tidy itself has fallen behind and last I saw, the
developers didn't have plans to support HTML5, rather they hoped
someone else would develop it, html5lib being one option.