I've been watching this thread and because someone mentioned Joplin I tried it
out. I'm having so many problems with it I'm afraid of using it now. It is
constantly losing the undo history. When I performed an undo, it wouldn't zoom
to the location that was undid so I had to copy the before and after text out
of Joplin and put it in BBEdit to do diff to see what changed! I even set
BBEdit to the external editor and tried working exclusively that way but if I
did anything in Joplin at all it was just a huge liability. I can't even see
the point of using it now. I have to reread my entire document now because I
don't know what Joplin has done to my document.

I think BBEdit has spoiled me because it has so many rock solid less-popular
features that I've used to work faster and be more productive but they don't
transfer to other text editors. And in this case I've learned to use undo and
redo to do maybe crazy things like navigate around my document and when I tried
it in Joplin it actually put my document in peril.

I'll just add the only reason I tried Joplin is because I want something that
is like Apple's Notes but with Markdown, synchronizes to a cloud of my
choosing, and it runs on macOS, iOS, and Linux . It looked like Joplin had all
of those things. But yeah, I don't think it's going to work out. I'm wondering
if replacing Apple Notes is also the goal of the person who started this thread.

James