D & S Chamberlain wrote:
Hugh: I think that Frank has a valid point. Obviously poorly made compost
tea can contain E.coli, the question is how do we stop it happening?
Perceptions are everything, if it can be traced that someone got ill from
compost tea then there are legions of highly paid people who will push the
perception, right or wrong, that all compost tea is bad.
This is a job for an Bio-Dynamic farmer who is also a scientist.  Can anyone understand journal articles written by researchers on E. coli?  Can someone start from the beginning with a skyhook--i.e., some background, then gather all the relevant scientific articles on E. coli 0 157 H:7 and on E. coli in general and pull them together to form a rebuttal to Will Brinton, et al., and publish in a prestigous journal with a bunch of references.
Then, doggone it, write a book for laypeople like Our Stolen Future which was the first book I read on endocrine disruption from dioxin, a substance never mentioned on the label of herbicides which contain 2,4-D.  Then make a video.
The author of Our Stolen Future was a woman who got her Ph.D. in later life and who worked for the World Wildlife Fund.  She had amassed all the journal articles and put 2 and 2 together and called together all the scientists from different fields to discuss the implications.  After many meetings (I have papers from those meetings.), she wrote the book for laypeople.  There are hundreds of scientific articles on endocrine disruption, but the EPA still allows dioxin-containing herbicides on the market because of the same reason that the National Organic Standards are based on "NPK organic" and  leave out 24-hr Compost Tea as Elaine's group of researchers are developing it and  Bio-Dynamic Agriculture.  No matter how impenetrable the political situation is, we have the right and responsibility to put our information out there.

No amount of huffing and puffing will change the perception once instigated, rumour and innuendo is the way that chemical companies fight and there's plenty of
suckers out there willing to listen to them.

When I wanted to use Pfeiffer Field Spray on our road and it wasn't registered in Idaho, that gave Randy his opportunity to scream me down when I mentioned the word "Bio-Dynamics" by saying "It contains nematodes."  He didn't know whether Pfeiffer Field Spray contained root nematodes or not, but he's acted like he did.  He just knew that it hadn't been tested by the state lab. What he said was irrelevant, but he made such a fuss that I never did even get a chance to speak. I think some of those present understood what I was talking about.  Brad, our Weed Supervisor later told Randy that he was a jackass and Randy apologized to me at Bonner Cty Weed Meeting in his oblique way.   Maybe there's hope.

We have to start somewhere to interface with these people who don't have a clue about the things that are most important to us.  I heard one of the late night TV talk show hosts make a derogatory joke about something by comparing it to dowsing.  It's just lack of understanding. I don't know how long it's going to take, but we have to keep working.

I think the Korrows' idea about doing a video is good.  I have an excellent video on the patenting of life called "Not for Sale" from Moving Images Video Project, 2408 E. Valley Street, Seattle, WA 98112 206 323-9461, <www.movingimages.org>.  Their distributor is Bulldog Films, I think.  You could do worse than getting in with them.  You want professional video people to make the film.  There is a filmmaker here who made a video about Sandpoint which I am going to see for the first time on Sunday.  You first need to decide what information you want to get across to people about Bio-Dynamics, then you need to find a filmmaker to work with to make it really good.  "Not for Sale" has shots from all over the world, really exciting music and is very well put together and edited.

I bet this group could collaborate over the net and come up with something that would set the record straight.

Merla