@rday, that's what I was attempting to do as well.  I was able to via the
method I mentioned above.  Yocto File system but an Angstrom built kernel +
dtb file.  I don't like it, and I'm sure there are problems so if others
don't know of a good way you or I might try to poke around in the Angstrom
build and see exactly what is different about their kernel build process vs
Yocto's.

Angstrom uses Yocto I believe, and the Dylan version as opposed to Poky so
there should be some similarity in recipe files.  I'll give it a look later
this month.

~ Sayguh