Hello Robert,

Thank you for the reply. Let me first make sure that I have followed the
correct procedure for booting from eSATA. Please review and let me know if
I did anything wrong or I missed a step...

1. R444 resistor removed
2. Jumper placed on J3 between 1-2 and soldered
3. X15 debian image downloaded unzipped and image written to SATA via dd.
4. eSATA cable connected to X15 and SATA drive and attempted to power on
and boot.

This procedure failed as I mentioned in the original post. Thre is mention
of removing R442-R444 in the reference manual. Was I supposed to remove
R442 R443 and R444 and just place the single jumper on J3 between 1 and 2?
This is what the reference manual implied and I'm interpretting the
reference manual to place jumpers on J4 between 2-3 and on J6 between 2-3.
This is how I am interpretting the instructions on the official reference
manual. However, I was advised by another post to just remove the R444
resistor and jump J3 between 1-2.

If I made the hardware modifications correctly this leaves me with the
issue of a board that does not boot and there is no way of going back to
soldering the original resistor (destroyed during removal). No access to
eMMC and a dead board. I have not tried burning the same image to an SD
card and hope it boots. I can try that next but I have a gut feeling that
would fail as well. So, I don't have a way of implementing your
instructions above without a functional eMMC and ability to boot from SATA
or potentially inability to boot from SD either?

Will future debian images include the boot software instead of having to
install them? This may be my only option.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your
intruction and response.

Marc

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/a9087f85-0793-4899-9127-bc0886105a2a%40googlegroups.com.