On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 10:10:25 PM UTC-5, john3909 wrote:
> Here is the discussion I read about this issue.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard-x15/FarRcmkeAI8
>

> Regards,
> John
>

> On Jan 16, 2018, at 4:30 AM, marc bellazzini <mab.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hello Angel,
> Mine is still collecting dust after my failed attempt at booting off the
> eSATA and making the modifications you have also done. Very disappointing
> since it was an expensive purchase. I am also awaiting a solution. The
> directions on booting from eSATA were not very clear.
>

> Good luck!
>

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Angel Sosa <xtended...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Everyone,
>
>  I am new to the X15. I have an XM since it came out and have done many
> projects with it. I have recently purchased and X15. My desire is to boot
> from a SATA drive connected to the ESATA port. I have verified when booted
> from the MMC card the SATA drive is bootable, can mount and it works well. I
> imaged the SATA drive with the X15 image, In my case SDA1  is the first
> partition created. I have removed R444 and placed a jumper I believe what is
> J3 pins 1-2 and have left the R444 resister solder points/mounts empty. When
> I try to boot off of the SATA drive the board times out and powers down. The
> instructions are  a little vague on the on instructions with in the user
> manual. I had a similar problem when the partition was enlarged on the MMC
> card to 32 gigs, the boot process would timeout. I used the grow_partition.sh
> script which fixed the time out issue with the MMC card. If I hold the X15
> board orienting J3, J4,J6 at the upper right corner hand corner, And join
> pins 1-2 -- most left hole moving right towards the center  pin, there
> orientation is horizontal I believe. The board as I mention powers up and
> then times out and shuts down. I have tried with the MMC in and out no avail.
> I have also purchased two boards at a pretty steep price and would like to
> pass them out to family members with the hopes of purchasing additional
> boards. But the ESATA/SATA issue is stopping me and I don't want to return
> the second board to DIGIKEY. I cant return the first board well because I
> modified it by removing the resistor.
>
> Is the image I used on the SATA drive incorrect or need an adjustment? Are
> the PIN orientation as I understand it incorrect.
>
> Held the X15 so that the ON switch is the upper left and jumpers are upper
> right hand corner.
>
> The drive spins up when I power up the board. So I know the ESATA port is
> powering up with the board.
>                       1 2 3
> | Ethernet   |   | XX0 | J3 Short 1 and 2
> | Connector|   | 000 | J4
> |                 |   | 000 | J6
>
> Drive Manufacturer is the SEAGATE IRON WOLF.
>
> Image:
> bbx15-debian-9.0-lxqt-armhf-2017-07-02-4gb.img.xz,
> [...]

Hi John,
 I posted today a pretty comprihensive set of directions. Half are not actually
needed for the actual work but it takes into account as if you were starting
from ground zero. Please see down below.

I was able to finally get past the issue. Please see below for my long
  winded directions:

1. Make sure your micro sd card has enough space.
2. Remove the micro sd card.
3. Boot off the emmc, once up and running,
4. In a terminal session "sudo" to root ( password = temppwd ) and stay as
    root for the remainder of the steps.
5. Insert the micro sd card into the sd slot, umount the microsd card if the
    O/S mounts it automatically.
6. "dd" the X15 image to a 32 gig micro sd card once "dd"
    is complete,
7. cd into "/opt/scripts/tools"
8. Theres is a script called "grow_partition.sh"
9. I modified this script so that it looks at the micro sd card. In my case
    the micro sd card is "/dev/mmcblk0". The line you are looking for
    "drive=/dev/mmcblk0". I modified it so that theres is no mistake on which
    storage device it will do it's work on. This may not be necessary
    in your case.
10. Execute the script in the end it will expand the partition to the full
    32 gigs.
11. Leave the micro sd inserted.
12. RE-Boot your X15, if it works your system's boot drive is the micro sd.
13. In a terminal session, "sudo into root and stay as root"
14. Connect your SATA or ESATA drive.
15. Make sure it is mountable and viewable.
14. Cd into "cd /opt/scripts/tools/developers"
15. Run the following command "git pull", once complete,
16. Run the following command "./secondary_rootfs.sh, once complete,
17. Mount the SATA/ESATA drive.
18. You will need to edit the /boot/uEnv.txt file on your microsd card,
19.  comment the "uuid" line on the micro sd card and copy the one
     that is on the SATA/ESATA drive, it's location will be something like
     "/your_mount_point/sda1/boot/uEnv.txt". Dont replace the file!!
20. You should be able to reboot and the microsd card will now redirect
     the boot process to your SATA/ESATA drive.
21. If you want to boot back to the micro sd card just comment the "uuid line.
22. You can also modify the emmc/boot/uEnv.txt file and it will redirect to
     the SATA/ESATA drive.

Let me know how it works out for you

Good Luck
Angel