On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM,  <mab.mobile...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like I may missing something. I'm assuming u-boot would be on the
> debian image written to the SATA drive via dd?

Sure, if you "patch" u-boot and "build" it for that situation, it
would work.  The current U-Boot binary we ship for the debian images
does NOT support booting from the esata drive.  Initially we did
support loading u-boot from the microSD and then scanning the sata for
a secondary rootfs but ran into compatibly problems with crappy sata
drives..

> Do I need to install this
> separetly? The Beagle Bone Black is pretty straight foreward with good
> documentation. The X15 is not. Are there any more detailed instructions
> on-line that can take me through the install/boot process via eSATA. The
> reference manual documentation is not adequate.

Here's the documentation:

What you "can" do, start with our image on the eMMC, run the
'mv_rootfs_dev_sda.sh" script found under
/opt/scripts/tools/non-mmc-rootfs/

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/tools/non-mmc-rootfs/mv_rootfs_dev_sda.sh

After this you have two options to load from the sata drive:

Option 1: (u-boot, kernel, device tree is loaded from eMMC/microSD,
but rootfs = sata)

Then edit /boot/uEnv.txt and have the uuid=ZYZ point to your /dev/sda1
partition.

Option 2: (u-boot, is loaded from eMMC/microSD, but sata = kernel,
device tree, rootfs)

Follow these directions:

http://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBoard-X15#BeagleBoard-X15-Bootloader:U-Boot

and change these lines in the patch:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/Bootloader-Builder/blob/master/patches/ti-2017.01/0001-beagle_x15-uEnv.txt-bootz-n-fixes.patch#L1442-L1444

+ "echo usb_boot is currently disabled;" \
+ "setenv interface scsi; " \
+ "echo scsi_boot is currently disabled;" \

to:

+ "run usb_boot;" \
+ "setenv interface scsi; " \
+ "run scsi_boot;" \

and the U-Boot loaded over the microSD/eMMC will scan the usb bus and
sata bus.. (usb bus powers the sata bus, so it has to be run first)..

But be forewarned, Option 2 turned out to be a little un-reliable,
especially which cheap sata drives...  (things might get better when
we jump from u-boot v2017.01 -> v2017.11 in the coming weeks)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYgv8mAY%3DfBuBkgN7CGeOsNfrm6riq4bdB72j4fFa3USsA%40mail.gmail.com.