On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 5:22 PM,  <mab.mobile...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> Thank you for the reply. Let me first make sure that I have followed the
> correct procedure for booting from eSATA. Please review and let me know if I
> did anything wrong or I missed a step...
>
> 1. R444 resistor removed
> 2. Jumper placed on J3 between 1-2 and soldered
> 3. X15 debian image downloaded unzipped and image written to SATA via dd.
> 4. eSATA cable connected to X15 and SATA drive and attempted to power on and
> boot.
>
> This procedure failed as I mentioned in the original post. Thre is mention
> of removing R442-R444 in the reference manual. Was I supposed to remove R442
> R443 and R444 and just place the single jumper on J3 between 1 and 2? This
> is what the reference manual implied and I'm interpretting the reference
> manual to place jumpers on J4 between 2-3 and on J6 between 2-3. This is how
> I am interpretting the instructions on the official reference manual.
> However, I was advised by another post to just remove the R444 resistor and
> jump J3 between 1-2.

Honestly, you can get a replacement R444 for like a penny (or even 10
for a penny)...

TI doesn't even "fully" support this configuration yet..

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Core_U-Boot_User%27s_Guide#Using_SD.2C_eMMC_or_USB_storage

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Core_U-Boot_User%27s_Guide#Using_SATA

> If I made the hardware modifications correctly this leaves me with the issue
> of a board that does not boot and there is no way of going back to soldering
> the original resistor (destroyed during removal). No access to eMMC and a
> dead board. I have not tried burning the same image to an SD card and hope
> it boots. I can try that next but I have a gut feeling that would fail as
> well. So, I don't have a way of implementing your instructions above without
> a functional eMMC and ability to boot from SATA or potentially inability to
> boot from SD either?
>
> Will future debian images include the boot software instead of having to
> install them? This may be my only option.

When v2017.11-rc1 get's tagged, i will re-enable it, so we will see.
One of the issues we ran into with v2017.01 when this option was
enabled, some board/esata combations would "lock-up" on poweron..
Thus the image was broken on more boards then users who used the
esata...

> Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your
> intruction and response.

While the "boot" room, supports loading files from the sata drive at
bootup.  It's not fully enabled/tested in U-Boot yet..

There's also a bug here (LCPD-5517):

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Processor_SDK_Linux_U-Boot_Release_Notes

LCPD-5517 P3-Medium Board fails to load bootloader sometimes when
eSATA is connected Connectivity UBOOT AM572x

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYi2N_iM24jGjEdak-CEKa4q%2BcAp0QETUqVHWjXmsHb-hA%40mail.gmail.com.