Man in a van wrote:
> http://www.cmedia.com.tw/products/USB20_HIGH_SPEED/CM6632A
>
> ask the mfg?
>
> At a complete guess, and if you have a windows OS computer, try
> foobar2000. You will need to check out what to do, this will/should
> confirm if it actually plays your DSD.
>
> Warning!! drink has been taken!!

Thanks for that. I'm in a Linux-only house but have tried a number of
dsd files, including some samples, at different rates, from
http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html.

Have also tried converting dff files (which don't produce sound) to
flac files (at various sample rates), which do up to the supported rate.
DST to DSD conversion (uncompressing) deson't help either.  As the
player itself  chews through the files and "plays" them (with no sound
except something that sounds like bird-chatter) from the dac, I suspect
that the problem is with the linux support for the chip.  I see that
some changes have been made to the snd_usb module since Linux 2.6.22 /
2.6.26, so was wondering if there's any way to rebuild the module with
some backported patches and load it on the touch.

On the other hand it may be as simple as me misunderstanding how to
make the settings (filetypes and player) work.

BR.

--Marius--