I will volunteer to count bikes, peds... planes, trains and automobiles.  I
am an equal opportunity counter.  Again, if it will assist the
transportation planners and engineers, it's time well spent.  Besides, I
always had a fondness for raw (and accurate) data.


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of STRAWSER, Charles
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 10:41 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Bikies] Question on bicycle traffic counts

I commend Larry for suggesting a way to collect sorely needed data that the
city has not had for far too long, and Larry and everyone else who
volunteered to help.

But I would rather see the city spend the money and the staff time to
collect
the data on bicyclists and pedestrians consistently as part of the planning
and implementing of the public transportation infrastructure of the city.
The
counter in Copenhagen (thanks for the link, Dipesh) would be wonderful, and
although no method of counting bikes and peds is as easy, or presumably as
cheap, as a hose count of motor vehicles, there are other technological
methods that could work that are probably not as expensive as the one in
Copenhagen. 
See http://www.livablestreets.com/streetswiki/pedestrian-counts for more on
those other methods.

If the city doesn't have the money to collect the data on bicyclists and
pedestrians as well as motor vehicles before planning and spending money on
transportation infrastructure, perhaps for the next several decades we
should
organize a group of volunteers that could provide useful data to the
transportation planners and engineers on motor vehicle use, particularly
regarding counts that would be of interest to the motoring community.

chuck


-----Original Message-----
From: Dipesh Navsaria

As an aside, I would *love* to see Madison put up a counter like this:

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2009/05/bicyclists-count-in-copenhagen.html

Maybe Trek or someone would sponsor a permanent installation at a  
couple of key locations?  Perhaps someplace that's also visible to  
motorists?  :-)

--------------------
From: Larry Nelson

[snip] I wonder if there are opportunities to establish a
voluntary group of folks from this list that could provide useful data to
the transportation planners and engineers, particularly regarding counts
that would be of interest to the biking community. [snip]
_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

_______________________________________________
Bikies mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.danenet.org/listinfo.cgi/bikies-danenet.org

Reply via email to