the machine-friendly interface will be a YANG-defined API encoded in CBOR

gRPC and gNMI are no-go because of HTTP/2; won't go that direction; if there is such a need, a separate (standalone) daemon may be created to handle translations between BIRD API and gRPC / gNMI but it isn't in our plans; it can be quite easy to do it though; regarding telemetry, it should work well but i would not expect much from such a connection for controlling though – we are keeping our model of daemon only reading config, not writing it

Maria

On 2023-12-14 13:19, Douglas Fischer wrote:
"also subscribing to various notifications."
Are we talking about gRPC?
If no, maybe some external tool running in same host of bird could use this "machine-friendly interface"
to get it from bird and supply those data as gRPC?

gNMI is on the table in some way?

--
Douglas Fernando Fischer
Engº de Controle e Automação

--
Maria Matejka (she/her) | BIRD Team Leader | CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.