I think a reputation network is more complicated than is needed for
this. This can be solved by the market.

What is needed is a simple method for each individual user to mark
certain merchant as trusted. For example, if your device gets an
untrusted payment request, it'll make a small sound, light up the screen
and ask the user to authorize the payment. The user then has the choice
of adding the merchant to trust list, authorizing just a single
transaction or not paying (and perhaps adding to the user's publicly
shared untrusted list?).

This way, even lacking a trust architecture, only the first payment to a
merchant needs to take several seconds. If trust is granted, the next
payments will be swift.

The lack of chargebacks presents a clear risk to the customer, though,
so a need for a third party that can keep the merchants honest exists.
This opens up markets for transaction insurance companies. Even though
bitcoin transactions are final, if a transaction insurance company
offers to cover your losses in the event of fraudulent charge, the risk
is practically eliminated.

Such an insurance company would have a strong incentive to make sure the
merchants they insure for behave. Otherwise they'll suffer the losses. I
think this would result in an equally trustworthy but more decentralized
system than with credit cards.

- Joel